Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Survivor Gabon: The Cast and First Thoughts

Just a few more weeks until the next version of Survivor kicks off with a 2 hour premiere - in HD no less! The cast list has been released, and Zap2it has a nice photo gallery. If you click on each of the names, it will link to their profile on the CBS website.

Name:
Ace Gordon
Age: 27
Hometown: Naples, Florida
Occupation: Fashion photographer

My thoughts: He was raised in London, so he's got an accent, and that could be cool, but he also proclaims what a flirt he is on his bio, and that could get annoying real fast. It's a fine line between charming and irritating, and I will have to see which side of that line he falls on when the show starts. His bio also states that he had a "privileged" upbringing, and that right there sounds arrogant to me. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but he's not a favorite right off the bat.

Name: Robert "Bob" Crowley
Age: 58
Hometown: Portland, Maine
Occupation: Physics teacher

My thoughts: How cute! They are trying to recreate the Yau Man phenomenon! According to his bio, he considers himself a cross between Indiana Jones and Robinson Crusoe. Hope that doesn't mean that he is afraid of snakes and needs a manservant. He could be very interesting to watch, and has a lot of experience in different situations. If he can handle the physical part of the game, he could be one to watch.

Name: Charlie Herschel
Age: 29
Hometown: New York City
Occupation: Lawyer

My thoughts: He's a marathoner, so the physical game might be not so tough on him, and he's also a lawyer, so he might be able to conive his way through the mental parts. He's also an Ivy Leaguer, so he is probably pretty smart. Is he the Todd of this season?

Name: Corinne Kaplan
Age: 29
Hometown: Los Angeles
Occupation: Pharmaceutical Sales Rep

My thoughts: A self-described bitch? She seems to be my usual least favorite type of player. Her bio descibes her as a catty former sorority girl, and she sounds like she is straight from central casting. I wonder what her employer thinks when reading that she is in it all for the money? The way the bio sounds, it seems that she means her job AND the game. We'll see. I hope that she twists her ankle and we don't have to be subjected to her for too long. I know my brother will disagree, because she is pretty.

Name: Crystal Cox
Age: 29
Hometown: Durham, North Carolina
Occupation: Former Olympic athlete

My thoughts: How better to tie into the Olympics than to have a former Olympian on board? She looks like a strong, tough, and nice woman - she works as a childcare teacher when not competing. That's pretty cool. She could be well-rounded and interesting. Wonder if her tribemates will recognize her? She is probably one to watch.

Name: Dan Kay
Age: 32
Hometown: Boston
Occupation: Lawyer

My thoughts: Another lawyer? His name is Dan Kay. I almost with he went by Danny. Almost. He's got a sob story childhood, with a disabled father and full-time working mother supporting them all. He was a high school football star. He recently took a hiatis from work and sold some property to focus on the little things in life. He could go either way. I could love him, or he could be a pompous ass. We'll see.

Name: Danny "GC" Brown
Age: 26
Hometown: Portland, Oregon
Occupation: Maintenance man

My thoughts: I hope that having someone from Oregon on doesn't lessen my brother's eventual chances of getting on the show. He's going to apply soon. On to GC. He has survived being homeless, and he works as a maintenance man for an apartment complex. That could prepare him for putting up with a lot of the stuff he is going to hear about from his fellow tribemates. He could be one to watch, if he doesn't fizzle out quickly.

Name: Gillian Larson
Age: 61
Hometown: Temecula, California
Occupation: Retired nurse

My thoughts: This tough chickie has applied to Survivor 15 times! That's persistance! Her bio claims that she is very active - mountain climbing and the like - and I would enjoy seeing an older woman kicking some butt on this show. She has been married to her husband for 37 years, so I worry about the emotional isolation for her. I have hopes for her.

Name: Jacquie Berg
Age: 25
Hometown: Santa Barbara, California
Occupation: Medical device sales rep

My thoughts: Another real beauty, it'll be interesting to see how she plays in contrast to Corrine. She describes herself as sweet and enthusiastic, and I instantly like her more than Miss Bitch. She's got some possibilities. Did I mention that she's gorgeous?

Name: Jessica "Sugar" Kiper
Age: 29
Hometown: Brooklyn, New York
Occupation: Pin-up model

My thoughts: Wonder what she will look like after her make-up has all worn off and she is forced to go au naturel. If she is as spunky as her bio promises, she could be some fun. If she is really just in it to get her face on tv and get some exposure, I don't have high hopes for her. I'll reserve judgement until I see how willing she is to get dirty.

Name: Kelly Czarnecki
Age: 22
Hometown: Buffalo Grove, Illinois
Occupation: Retail sales

My thoughts: Yet another little hottie, she could be more than she appears. She has 3 brothers, and that could be enough to make a girl strong and tough. Wonder how her "denim expertise" is going to serve her in a situation where clothing is limited. She claims to be a leader. We'll see how she comes across.

Name: Ken Hoang
Age: 22
Hometown: Westminster, California
Occupation: Professional gamer

My thoughts: Ah, the Professional Gamer. Maybe his uber-strong thumbs will help him in challenges involving holding onto ropes. He did climb Mt. Fuji at 20, but who knows if he will be strong enough for Survivor? I kind of want to root for him, but I don't know how fruitful that will be.

Name: Marcus Lehman
Age: 28
Hometown: Atlanta
Occupation: Doctor

My thoughts: He was named Georgia's hottest bachelor by Cosmo in 2006. He's still a resident, and I wonder how he got time off to play Survivor. He could be good, but he could also be really cocky. I smell a potential hook-up between him and one of the young hotties. He seems the type.

Name: Matty Whitmore
Age: 29
Hometown: Pacific Palisades, California
Occupation: Personal trainer

My thoughts: Matty? Really? I don't think that I can like him - he got an inheritance at 18 and partied it all away. That's just stupid. He could surprise me, and maybe he has learned enough from past mistakes to be a decent player. But, dude. His dog's name is Dink. I don't know if I can like a guy who does that to a dog.

Name: Michelle Chase
Age: 24
Hometown: Los Angeles
Occupation: Music producer

My thoughts: She's just adorable. She was married and divorced by 19, and she describes herself as bodacious and hard core. She might be one to watch. She's also a triathelete. That could be very good for the game.

Name: Paloma Soto-Castillo
Age: 24
Hometown: Downey, California
Occupation: Student

My thoughts: They didn't pick any plain looking girls this year, did they? Another gorgeous girl, her parents were missionaries, and she moved to Kenya all by herself and lived among the natives for three months. That's pretty bad ass. She wants to open an orphanage in Kenya with any winnings from Survivor. Noble. She might be one to watch. She's used to roughing it.

Name: Randy Bailey
Age: 49
Hometown: Eagle Rock, Missouri
Occupation: Wedding Videographer

My thoughts: This guy looks like a grade A jackass. He calls himself a bully who likes to pick on inferior people. Yeah, that'll make him popular around camp. He's competed in triathalonsa and Ironman triathalons, so he ought to be strong and have endurance, but that can't make up for being a complete jerk.

Name: Susie Smith
Age: 47
Hometown: Charles City, Iowa
Occupation: Hairdresser

My thoughts: She might be interesting to watch. She is the child of Mexican immigrant field crop workers, and she currently teaches ESL to K-8 kids and also works as a hairdresser. She's been married for 25 years, so again, the social isolation might be tough for her. She might be a very neat character. We'll see.

So, your thoughts?

My vote for first out, sight unseen = Randy
My vote for winner, sight unseen = Paloma

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm torn between picking Randy or Ace for my "first off" vote. Usually, it's the socially awkward person that get's the boot first, not the asshat of the group.

I wonder what the twist is going to be this year?